York girl accused when trying to purchase 2 iPhones with fraudulent ID, charge card
YORK COUNTY — a York that is 21-year-old woman been faced with theft and medication fees after police say she attempted to purchase two iPhones on another customer’s account at a Verizon shop when you look at the York Galleria Mall on Thursday.
Alexis Marie Mathis, of this 300 block of East King Street, is faced with theft by deception, identification theft, access unit fraudulence, control of a substance that is controlled control of a tiny bit of cannabis, and possessing the instruments of criminal activity, relating to Springettsbury Township Police.
Mathis ended up being arrested Thursday after authorities had been called towards the Verizon shop by a member of staff whom reported a lady tried to get two iPhone XX Maxi phones, respected at $1,160 each, with recognition and charge card the employee thought were fraudulent.
Police reported to your Verizon shop found close to the mall’s food court, in which the met a shop worker whom reported:
- A suspect that is female later on recognized as Mathis, joined the shop at 12:04 p.m. and said she wished to buy two iPhones. The suspect reported she ended up being told at most useful purchase that there clearly was a fraud alert on the account.
- The worker asked Mathisfor her username and passwords, and Mathis offered Pennsylvania ID using the true title Brenda Meline. The ID had an image of Mathis.
- Mathis agreed to show a charge card to validate her ID, and offered a Visa card with Meline’s title.
- The worker instantly suspected the ID and bank card had been fraudulent, but told Mathis the store’s would be checked by her stock to see just what that they had, because she managed to confirm that Brenda Meline had a free account with Verizon.
- The worker came back and told Mathis the shop didn’t have the iPhones she desired in stock, but recommended her to use a 2nd verizon shop at the shopping center to test their stock.
- After Mathis left to visit one other shop, the employee called the 2nd store and encouraged them in regards serbian singles to the suspected fraudulence attempt.
- Mathis arrived during the 2nd shop a short while later on, and attempted to get the iPhones here.
- A worker at the store that is second police Brenda Meline have been a client with Verizon for 13 years, and contacted the specific Brenda Meline by phone to confirm she had not been in York wanting to result in the purchase.
- The 2nd store worker then called 911. Because the worker ended up being talking to 911, Mathis left the shop.
Police later discovered Mathis outside one of many Verizon stores she’d visited early in the day, and adopted her up to A mcdonald’s that is nearby they made connection with her.
Mathis told authorities she would not have ID so he could verify her identification on her, and the officer asked her to come to the patrol car with him. At that point, police state, Mathis started crying and admitted she had another ID. She told authorities she was homeless, down on the fortune, and had been here in the behest of two other folks, who had been anticipating her to come back with all the phones, based on the complaint that is criminal.
Police determined Mathis had outstanding traffic warrants against her. A search of her wallet produced the ID that is false charge card, along side a Social safety Card with Mathis’ Social Security quantity onto it. Police also discovered a synthetic case containing suspected marijuana, four capsules by having an off-white powder substance, 1 / 2 of a supplement of unknown beginning, and a purple capsule. The purse additionally included a smoking that is non-conventional, in accordance with authorities.
After being encouraged of her Miranda legal rights, police state Mathis explained that two acquaintances offered her between $1,000 and $2,000 to get the phones for them. They arranged to obtain the fake ID, and she had a photo taken at a place CVS about a couple of weeks prior, she told authorities. One of several acquaintances, a guy called Tre, presumably offered her the wallet containing the ID that is false charge card before making her in the shopping mall. She denied any knowledge regarding the suspected narcotics, police say.
Police told Meline the truth that her Social protection Card ended up being found in the wallet suggested the things belonged to her, the complaint that is criminal.
A search of Mathis’ phone recovered texts between Mathis additionally the two other people that suggested their want to result in the purchases that are fraudulent police state.